Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A Sterling Plan...

Well...I am not posting a table this week, but this does relate to tablescapes.  I have decided to fulfill one of my heart's desires...with a sterling plan!!!   As I've mentioned before, I don't have lovely handed-down sterling or china or crystal and didn't receive those things for wedding gifts.  Most things I have were collected by me over the years. 

I love seeing all of the beautiful tables that all you talented tablescapers have put together and one of the things that always catches my eye is the sterling flatware. 

Sooooooooooooooooo...I've decided to pick a pattern and start collecting.  This is my "sterling plan".  I have looked at sterling sets of many place settings on ebay, knowing I could not afford them. 

My taste runs to very traditional symmetrical patterns, such as Towle's "King Richard" or "Old Master" or Gorham "Chantilly".   Then I saw a small set of Oneida "Damask Rose".  It is so pretty and delicate so I bid on it and won at a GREAT price!!!  It consists of 4 four piece place settings.  I have lots of dishes with roses and thought it would go well with them.  I also found a sugar shell at a great price on ebay-I won that one as well!!

So here's my "sterling plan"...I will check ebay and poke around locally to see the best chances to add to my sterling pattern.  I'm hoping I will find some pieces here because the original Oneida factory is about twenty miles from where I live and am hoping that there will be pieces from years ago for sale around here!!  Oneida has closed and everything is being made in China, I think...and I don't think that they even do any sterling anymore.  They used to have a factory store that sold all sorts of things from the factory and I remember seeing seconds of this pattern there.  But those days are gone :-(

Isn't it beautiful????



So that's my "sterling" plan and I'm sticking to it!!!  (My Brit isn't so excited...he says we have plenty of silver.  But it's not STERLING, I whine)

Stay tuned...it will show up soon.

Thank you for listening to my ramble!!!

9 comments:

  1. I think you have a great plan!! That is exactly what I did as I was not in line for my family sterling, lol! If you are patient, you will definitely be able to find some on ebay. Another great resource is rubylane.com. That's where I got my first 12 place settings, then started adding from ebay and replacements. I LOVE your pattern too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great plan - and part of the fun is in the hunt! Good luck.

    Some news: We're staring a Giveaway Friday! link-up party this Fri. 8/27 plus we are giving away custom backsplash! Hope you'll join us.

    Allison
    Atticmag

    ReplyDelete
  3. It *is* very pretty indeed - extra nice that you feel you got a great price on it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your plan is great...I enjoy using my sterling, especially with ice cream. My pattern is also Damask Rose and luckily my mother and dad gave some as a wedding present and then followed up with other place settings at Christmas. How fun for you! Joni

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your new Oneida pattern might look lovely with Rose Point by Wallace. Be sure to check out estate sales...often a great opportunity to purchase sterling at a good price...and it's often sold by the piece. Another thought...when I want to collect something, I ask my family to add 'pieces' to my collection for birthdays and Christmas. If everyone will participate just a little at a time, you'll have your collection before your know it...or ask them for Visa gift cards. Good luck with your collecting adventure! Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, how thrilling to get such a good head start on collecting your pattern! It is a lovely pattern, and yours looks polished to perfection. I'll look forward to seeing a table set with your sterling and your rose dishes soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a great start on your sterling, Tess. You have chosen a very pretty pattern. Can't wait to see it in one of your beautiful tablescapes. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful pattern! My grandmother had Oneida, my mother does and I have a set, too. I have always liked Oneida and the lovely patterns they made. I know you are so excited to have your beautiful sterling to use with your china. Happy Hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a very lovely blog and I love your cats too! Thank you for commenting over on my green stamp china the other day! Becky

    ReplyDelete